East Lodge circa 1795, is one of the four lodges
(north, south, east and west) to the Bridge Hill
House estate built in Belper in 1796. All four are still
occupied although Bridge Hill House itself was
demolished in 1938. East Lodge (BM 74.8M) is the
largest and prettiest and was presumably built as
the main entrance, but in practice South Lodge
situated on the main London road (now the A6) would
have been used more. South Lodge had a long drive
including a private bridge over the river Derwent.
All the lodges are built of stone dressed the same
as other Strutt buildings constructed at that time.
East lodge incorporates a stone staircase, the
design of which was used as an external cantilevered
staircase on the Belper Unitarian Chapel
which Jedediah had built in 1788 and where he is
believed to be buried. The lodge has a stone porch
for the gatekeeper to sit in and the open driveway
gate can be seen at an angle at the bottom left of
the old photo. The previous occupants Gerry and
Linda are shown in period dress for a charity event
at the lodge. Linda, herself a celebrated poet and
gardener, provided the adjacent published work.